DESIGN TIME LINE OF THE CAMERA!
1664-1666 - Isaac Newton discovers white light is composed of different colours
1826 - Joseph Nicephore Niepce takes the first permanent photograph(2), using bitumen dissolved with lavender oil he coated a piece of pewter and place it in the Camera Obscura(1) He called this process Heliography meaning "sun writing"
(1) The Camera Obscura -
(2) The First Permanent Photograph -
1859 - Thomas Sutton invented the earliest panoramic camera(3). The
Camera consisted of a glass sphere filled with water to create an image in a 120 degrees arc.
(3) Earliest panoramic camera -
1861 - James Clerk Maxwell creates the first colour photograph!(4)
(4) First Colour Photograph -
1888 - The first Kodak Box Camera(5) design is mass produced and put on the market.
(5) Kodak n°1 box camera -
1898 - Kodak introduce to the market the new more compact camera(6) with folding capabilities.
(6) Folding Pocket Kodak -
1900 - Kodak Brownie (7), which also sprouted off the Beau Brownie (8)
(7) Kodak Brownie no. 2
(8) 1930 Kodak Beau Brownie by Walter Dorwin Teague - Designer
1914 - Kodak Autographic film camera (9) introduced.
(9) Kodak Autographic Camera Jr.
1925 - Leica produce a Leica I (10), using 35mm format
(10) Leica I
1936 - IHAGEE introduce the Exakta 1 (11) the first 35mm SLR
(11) Exakta 1 ~~~~
1947 - Harold Edgerton invents the Rapatronic High Speed Camera used to photograph nuclear explosions (12) which recorded exposure for 10 nanoseconds
(12) Nuclear explosion photographed by rapatronic camera
1948 - The Hasselblad 1600F (13) camera was introduced
(13) The Hasselblad 1600F
1954 - Leica M3 (14) is introduced
(14) Leica M3
1959 — The first system camera the Nikon F (15) is introduced
(15) Nikon F
1961 - Polaroid J66 (16)
(16) Polaroid J66
1963 - Kodak introduces the Instamatic 100 (17)
(17) Insamatic 100
1964 - First Pentax Spotmatic camera (18), first camera to initiate the through-the-lens (TTL) exposure metering
(18) Pentax Spotmatic
1975 - Steven Sasson (19) invents the first digital camera
(19) First Digital Camera with Steven Sasson
1990 - "Kodak developed the Photo CD system and proposed "the first worldwide standard for defining color in the digital environment of computers and computer peripherals." In 1991, Kodak released the first professional digital camera system (DCS), aimed at photojournalists. It was a Nikon F-3 (20) camera equipped by Kodak with a 1.3 megapixel sensor." 
(20) Nikon F-3
1990's & BEYOND - We are left with the camera designs we see and use today!
Reference -  http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldigitalcamera.htm
- Brownie (camera) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Autographic film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Leica Camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Rapatronic camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Hasselblad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Walter Dorwin Teague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Timeline of photography technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- History of the camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Instamatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Pentax Spotmatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Timeline of the Camera | View timeline
- History of the Digital Camera
- Camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Digital Cameras.jpg (JPEG Image, 450x450 pixels)